Thursday, October 28, 2010

Something I'm Considering

For a while now I've been following Lindsey over at The Pleated Poppy. On Wednesdays she has a WIWW (What I Wore Wednesday) post. Read here for her latest post. Anyways, if you don't want to read I'll summarize. She started this weekly ritual because, like me, she would stay at home all day in her p.j.'s. She is a stay at home mom with 3 children. She wanted accountability for what she wore and posting what she wore all week was her way of making her get out of her "lazy" attire and feel better about herself. As weeks went by others have joined her and linked up. So, that's what I'm considering. Since staying home with Brady and losing around 60 pounds (includes weight gained with Brady) I have become one slouchy dressed momma. I hate that too. Every morning for work I would try to dress up and be presentable....including jewelry and cute shoes. But now I'm feeling like "who/what do I have to dress up for?" so I usually stay in my pajama's. Poor Wes. I know he comes home and thinks sometimes "Who am I married to? A homeless woman?" I'm sure there are lots of women out there that can relate. In fact, there are! They've all linked up with Lindsey.

While viewing all these courageous women's posts, I have been inspired. I am not bringing home any money. Therefore, I can not go shopping like I used to and WHERE I used to. It's just not going to work. Sooooo, these women have inspired me to thrift shop. Why in Heaven's name did I not try this before?! There are some great "buys" out there. You just have to take the time and look. I am also going to try and use what is in my closet. Like I said, I've lost A LOT of weight....so much that I'm starting to get a little worried it won't stop. No, I'm not complaining....and no, I'm not bragging. It is wonderful but not when all your clothes are falling off of you and you don't have money to go spend on a new wardrobe. So, I'm going to try and use what will fit and then I've also been thrift shopping here and there.

I think God is also teaching me lots of things with this stay at home mom thing. Material things are SO not worth it. I mean, we're not going to take these fancy shoes to heaven. *smile* Being a SAHM has been an adjustment for sure. I'm definitely not regretting. I'm just sayin'. Life is not the same. I want God to work on me and if adjusting and thrift shopping is a start....well, then have at it God.

So instead of looking like this picture below, hopefully you will see next Wednesday some actual clothes. Maybe I won't leave the house, but I can still put on some clothes that are more presentable. I KNOW it will make me feel better. So stay tuned for next Wednesday. Y'all will have to hold me accountable. I have to do this....not just for myself, but for my family. *smile* I'm sure you will be getting some laughs. Hopefully, I won't embarrass myself too bad. Are you in the same boat? Are you going to be brave enough to link up? I'd love to have a partner next week so I'm not feeling so alone.
And no, the thumbs down is not because the Cowboys are playing AWFUL this year (which, they really are, let's face it!) but it's because I'm dressed so awful. My full length mirror is in the room Brady is currently sleeping in so this is the best shot I could get.

Dallas Cowboys Shirt: Foot Locker (or one of those similar stores)

Heart Pajama's: Walmart

White Socks: Walmart

Glasses: Guess (TSO - TX State Optical)

4 comments:

Ruth H. said...

Good for you! This was my first time linking up, too. Oh, my goodness, was it ever hard to hit the post button! Gotta tell you, though, I wish I would have started thrifting years ago. My clothes are better now that I figured out how to buy them second hand than they were when I insisted on buying them new. Good luck!

Amanda said...

I follow and look at all of the people's outfits they make. And somedays I even dress up and take a picture. BUT...I'm the opposite of you -- I have about 60 lbs to lose -- and I just can't get myself to put up my pictures!!! Hopefully soon.

And as for thrifting -- I.love.it. :)

Katie said...

Such a great post!! I work from home alot, which is why I started linking up. It's been a ton of fun, and I gain so much inspiration from everyone. Hope to see you linking up next week! And congrats on the weight loss! Just get some cute belts to make your bigger items work for awhile :)

Kristi@living-blessed-life said...

Before I read your post, I just had to laugh and thought "What is that Tonya up to now" but I LOVE this idea!!! I'll join with you and be prepared for some awful. Stayin at home is a major adjustment on the budget. I haven't been shopping for myself-reg or thrift-in probably 2 years. When we do have extra to spend it goes on the boys of course :) One way that i've found that I have been able to get 'new' clothes is if you can hook up with other SAHM, we have starting going through our closets and what we don't/can't/won't wear, we exchange with someone else. Pants are harder to come by but I have gotten a lot of shirts that way and now a few dresses. Woohoo!!!! Also, if you have a target, they put their stuff on clearance Tuesdays. That's when I snag for the boys and they do it for adult clothes too. If you can get into the habit of dressin up now, it will be so much better. It doesn't get easier as the kids get older because by the time your finished wrangling and dressing them, you dont even feel like dressing yourself! I'm excited and thanks for sharing !!!!!!!

Swidget 1.0