Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why "really" love on just ONE day a year?

Growing up with a relationship with God I have often heard this scripture many, many times.

1st Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

What a scripture to be able to stand on?! And what a scripture to live up to. I don't know if you think like me but I look at this and think "love is definitely work!" This scripture doesn't just apply to our spouses but also on how we treat each other, our love for one another. There are moments where I am having a bad day and I just don't feel like "loving" the person in the car ahead of me who just cut me off. And how hard is it to "love" that someone who just came walking in with that item you've told them you've been saving for but they went out and bought it themselves. (This didn't happen to me, just using it as an example.) It's hard to love that person that is always right, never wrong. It's sometimes hard to love that person who treated you so bad or said something that really hurt you. But as the scripture says above, no matter what, we are to love.

So as Valentine's Day is approaching it made me think about the word "love". Not just the love I have for my husband, for Logan, my friends, and family but also for the people that I pass every day. There may be a person that I work beside, pass by at the grocery store, stand in the elevator with, etc. that I have NO idea what battle they are up against. I have been praying that God opens my eyes and allows me to see when someone around me needs to be shown love. Often times I am in such a hurry to get here or there that I don't pay attention to who or what is going on around me. I get so caught up in my own life.

Even little things can show love, such as opening a door for someone or just a simple smile. Just this week I was waiting to have more blood work done and across from me was an older couple and the wife was waiting to have blood work done also. I had about 3 people waiting in front of me and the older couple was behind me. Well I kept overhearing the man complaining about the wait time, which really wasn't near as bad as his stomach was letting him think. (It was lunch time) So when it was almost time for me to get my blood drawn I decided to go switch numbers with them and let them go. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm all wonderful and everything but I see this as a little stepping stone that God placed on my heart. He hears my prayers. He is opening my eyes! I had to giggle because it made the wife so happy but the man, the one complaining, didn't say a word. God bless his hungry stomach. Heehee

As I was sitting in my car after lunch today I picked up my Bible and read this scripture again. I noticed a little box on the side that said In Depth and it did just what it said. It went more in depth about this scripture. One line really stood out to me. I want to remember this line when I think about love for now on....it said "This kind of love is a giving, selfless, expect-nothing-in-return kind of love." Wow!

I pray that God continues to open my eyes and that He shows me how & who to love.

With much love and prayers for all of you who read this!
Tonya

1 comment:

Jill said...

Thank you for this Tonya. I really need to work on this sometimes and reading this really helped me think about some things.

Swidget 1.0